23 July 2010

My commentary on my Maat win

Well, it wasn't pretty.

After farming the second testimony with the help of Cinn and Ham, and going as a crew to assist a random on the Oztroja leg of their LB3, I hit Jeuno.  I zoned into Ru'Lude and immediately burst into tears.  Yes, the idea that another loss was so close at hand was enough to make me cry.  I actually logged out at this point, while ranting via IM about how I can't do it, I was quitting, going to go play LOTRO until XIV.

After receiving some encouragement and support, I decided to prove once and for all that he's wrong and I really can't do it.  I logged back in, still in tears.  Went a bought a new taco, still in tears.  Started the fight with every expectation that I'd lose.  I didn't even tell Cinn I was doing it, even though I was talking to him at the time.  I'm sure he figured it out though, lol, once he started getting the weird disjointed IMs.

I have had three macro books for WHM.  There was the one for parties, that switches my weapon based on what I'm doing.  Light Staff for cures, Banish, and other light-element spells; Ice Staff for Paralyze; Dark Staff for healing; etc.  Then there was the one for the Maat fight, which is basically the same as above, but with a couple extra item-switch macros (Earth Staff for running away, Diana Corona for the extra MACC for Repose).  And of course, I had the solo book that does not switch weapons at all, so as not to lose my TP just because I wanted to debuff the mob I'm fighting.

I found out as I was typing up the last post that I went in and did the fight using my solo book.  I knew I had the wrong one when the macro to equip the Earth Staff wasn't there; I didn't realize that I did the rest of the fight with the earth staff equipped.  I didn't the extra MACC for Repose.

My blinding potion wore halfway through; I guess I should just be glad I had the +30 Evasion for the first half, eh?  Oh, wait, there were no instances of Maat missing me the entire fight.  He landed every melee shot he took--maybe accidentally having that earth staff equipped for most of the fight is what saved me!  Having the Vile Elixir +1 and some Echo Drops pulled out of my satchel and at the top of my bags also really helped pull me through that; not having them immediately available would have been another loss.

My impression of the WHM fight is that if you can sleep him through it, that's the way to go, but make sure you're prepared to handle resists or just plain bad luck.  My divine skill hit 217 on the last Repose cast, and I was wearing no +divine gear, I landed two and had two resisted, not a great success rate, heh.  It was enough this time, and that's what counted.

No comments:

Post a Comment